Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa
8. Extend your visa
You may be able to extend your Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa.
You should apply before your current visa expires.
You can apply to extend your visa if you:
- meet the eligibility requirements
- registered as a director or as self-employed no more than 6 months after the date you were given permission to stay in the UK under a Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa
- can prove you’ve been self-employed, a member of a partnership or working as a director of a business 3 months before you apply
- created at least 2 full time jobs that have existed for at least 12 months
You must have invested into 1 or more UK businesses either:
- £200,000 in cash
- £50,000 in cash if your initial application was based on having funds from an approved funding source
You should include any dependants who are on your current visa on your application to extend - including children who have turned 18 during your stay.
You should read the full guidance on the Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa before you apply.
How to extend your visa if you’re in the UK
Download the form and apply by post - the address is on the form.
You must also provide your biometric information (fingerprints and a photo). This costs £19.20.
You can give your biometric information at certain Post Office branches.
You’ll get a biometric residence permit if your application to extend your visa is successful.
How to extend your visa if you’re outside the UK
Apply for a new a Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa online to extend your visa from outside the UK.
How long it takes
A decision will be made on your application within 8 weeks.
You’ll be contacted if your application is complex and will take longer. This could be because:
- your supporting documents need to be verified
- you need to attend an interview
- of your personal circumstances (for example if you have a criminal conviction)
Once you’ve applied you can stay in the UK until you’ve been given a decision, as long as you applied before your last visa expired.