Extend your visa
You may be able to extend your Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa.
You should apply before your current visa expires.
You can apply to extend your visa if you:
- registered as a director or as self-employed no more than 6 months after the date you were given permission to stay in the UK under a Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa
- can prove you’ve been self-employed, a member of a partnership or working as a director of a business 3 months before you apply
- created at least 2 full time jobs that have existed for at least 12 months
- can continue to support yourself
You must have invested into 1 or more UK businesses either:
- £200,000 in cash
- £50,000 in cash
The amount depends on the level of funds your initial application was based on.
You should include any dependants who are on your current visa on your application to extend - including children who have turned 18 during your stay.
You should read the full guidance on the Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa before you apply.
It costs £1,277 to extend this visa.
You’ll also need to pay £19.20 to have your biometric information (fingerprints and a photo) taken. You’ll pay as part of your application.
How to extend your visa if you’re in the UK
You must apply online.
Providing biometric information and supporting documents
When you apply, you’ll be asked to make an appointment at a UK Visa and Citizenship Application Services (UKVCAS) service point to provide your biometric information (your fingerprints and a photo).
You’ll also need to submit your supporting documents. You can:
- upload them into the online service
- have them scanned at your UKVCAS appointment
You must not travel outside of the UK, Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man until you get a decision. Your application will be withdrawn if you do.
Get help to apply online
You can get help with completing the online form if you:
- do not feel confident using a computer or mobile device
- do not have internet access
You can only use this service if you’re applying to extend your visa in the UK.
You cannot get immigration advice through this service.
How long it takes
A decision will be made on your application within 8 weeks.
You’ll be contacted if your application is complex and will take longer. This could be because:
- your supporting documents need to be verified
- you need to attend an interview
- of your personal circumstances (for example if you have a criminal conviction)
Once you’ve applied you can stay in the UK until you’ve been given a decision, as long as you applied before your last visa expired.
How to extend your visa if you’re outside the UK
If you’re outside the UK, you must apply online to extend a Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa.