Documents you must provide

When you apply you’ll need to provide:

  • a current passport or other valid travel identification
  • evidence of the investment funds available to you
  • a business plan
  • evidence that you can support yourself during your stay
  • proof that you meet the English language requirement
  • your tuberculosis test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the test
  • a criminal record certificate from any country you have stayed in for a total of 12 months or more over the last 10 years

You need a blank page in your passport for your visa.

You’ll need to provide a certified translation of any documents that are not in English or Welsh.

Read the guide for a list of documents you can provide.

You may need to provide additional documents depending on your circumstances.

Evidence of investment funds

What evidence you provide depends on where the money is.

Your own money in a UK financial institution

From each institution holding the funds, send either:

  • a personal bank or building society statement
  • an official letter

Money from UK government department or seed funding competition

You must provide evidence from each institution awarding the funds:

  • UK government department - send an official letter from an accountant or authorised official
  • Department for International Trade endorsed seed funding competition - send an official letter from an accountant or authorised official

Funding from another third party

If you’re using money from a third party (not a UK government department or seed funding competition), you must provide:

  • an official letter from an accountant or the financial institution holding the money
  • a letter from the third party confirming the money is available for you to invest in a UK business
  • a letter from a legal representative (independent from those providing funds) certifying the signatures on the confirmation are valid

If your funding is from a venture capital firm, you must also provide:

  • a letter from its director, partner or fund manager
  • a term sheet signed by all parties
  • proof that it has carried out checks and followed certain processes (‘due diligence’)

Evidence that you can support yourself

You must prove that you have enough personal savings to support yourself while you’re in the UK.

How you prove this depends on where you’re making your application from:

  • outside the UK - you’ll need £3,310
  • in the UK - you’ll need £945

Your personal savings must have been in your bank account for 90 consecutive days before you apply.

You cannot use either of the following to support yourself:

  • money from your investment funds
  • money earned while working in the UK illegally