1. Overview

If a driver has died, send the person’s driving licence and registration certificate (V5C) to DVLA.

Include a letter with the documents explaining:

  • your relationship to the person who has died
  • the date of death
  • their name, address and date of birth

If you don’t have the V5C then just send the letter.

Don’t send the original death certificate to DVLA.

Send the driving licence to:

SA99 1AB

Send the registration document (if you have it) to:

SA99 1ZZ

Northern Ireland

There’s a different process in Northern Ireland.