Apply for this licence

Postcode lookup

For example SW1A 2AA

Find a postcode on Royal Mail's postcode finder


You need to contact the local council where your premises are based to get a tattoo, piercing and electrolysis licence in Northern Ireland.

This licence covers:

  • tattooing
  • semi-permanent skin colouring
  • cosmetic piercing
  • electrolysis
  • acupuncture

Check with your council to see if you need to register both yourself and your premises when applying for a licence.

You must follow any local byelaws relating to staff hygiene and the safety and cleanliness of your premises, furniture and equipment. Your premises could be inspected before you get your licence.

How to apply

You will need to provide details about yourself and your premises, as well as pay a one-off registration fee. These are set by the council and vary from area to area.

If approved, you will get a certificate of registration (or licence).

Displaying your licence

You must display a copy of your certificate (or licence) and any byelaws in a prominent place on your premises. If you fail to do so you could be fined.