You must apply online for a Student visa.
Check which documents you’ll need to apply.
Apply outside the UK
As part of your application, you’ll need to prove your identity. How you do this depends on where you’re from and what type of passport you have.
- give your fingerprints and a photograph (biometric information) at a visa application centre
- use the ‘UK Immigration: ID Check’ app to scan your identity document - you’ll also create or sign into your UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) account
You’ll be told what you need to do when you apply.
Once you’ve started your application, you can save your form and complete it later.
How long it takes to get a decision
You’ll usually get a decision within 3 weeks.
If you need to give your biometric information at a visa application centre, you may be able to pay to get a faster decision. Check if your visa application centre offers faster decisions and other services.
Apply inside the UK
You may be able to apply to:
After you apply
You’ll be contacted if your application is complex and will take longer, for example because:
- your supporting documents need to be verified
- you need to attend an interview
- of your personal circumstances (for example if you have a criminal conviction)
If you need to change something in your application after you’ve sent it contact UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI).
You can ask to withdraw your application by contacting UKVI. Your fee will only be refunded if UKVI has not started processing your application.
After you get a decision
If your application is successful, you’ll get either:
- a biometric residence permit - if you gave your biometric information at a visa application centre
- a digital immigration status which you can view and prove online - if you used the ‘UK Immigration: ID Check’ app