Apply for this licence

Postcode lookup

For example SW1A 2AA

Find a postcode on Royal Mail's postcode finder


You may need a licence from the local council to work as a street trader in Scotland. Contact the council in the area you want to trade.

If you’re planning to sell food, you’ll need a valid Food Safety Certificate. The council will inspect your vehicle or stall to make sure it meets hygiene standards.


You don’t need a street trader’s licence to:

  • sell newspapers
  • sell coal, or fuel derived from from coal or coke
  • sell milk (you need to be registered separately for this)
  • work as a registered pedlar (someone who travels and trades on foot)
  • collect for charity (you’ll need a public charitable collection licence for this)

You also don’t need a street trader’s licence if you have a separate licence for a more specific activity, including a:

  • market operator’s licence
  • second-hand dealer registration
  • metal dealer licence
  • knife dealer licence
  • tattoo, piercing and electrolysis licence
  • public entertainment licence

How to apply

Contact the council in the area you want to trade to find out if you need a licence for street trading.

Fines and penalties

You can be fined up to £2,500 if you trade in the street without a licence.