Street collection licence (England & Wales)

Apply for this licence

Postcode lookup
For example SW1A 2AA

Find a postcode on Royal Mail's postcode finder


If you want to collect money or sell items on the street for charity, you might need a street collection licence, depending on your local council.


It’s not just ‘streets’ that are covered - you’ll need a licence if you collect money in public areas, eg a shop doorway or car park.


You don’t need a street collection licence if you’re selling or collecting as part of a business.

How to apply

Contact your local council to find out if you need a licence.

In Greater London (except the City of London) you’ll need to contact the Metropolitan Police for a licence.

Fines and penalties

You could be fined £200 if you collect money for charity without a licence.