Being stopped by the police while driving

Faults with your vehicle

If your vehicle has something wrong with it, for example a broken brake light, the police may give you a ‘vehicle defect rectification notice’.

You’ll need to get your vehicle fixed and provide proof that it’s been fixed, for example a receipt for the work from a mechanic. You have 14 days from the date of the notice to show the proof to the police.