Apply for this licence

Start now


You need a licence to take water from a public water main in Northern Ireland on a temporary basis.

This will allow you to use a portable standpipe access to water mains via hydrants. Standpipes are supplied by Northern Ireland Water.

How to apply

Contact Northern Ireland Water for an application form or visit their website to apply online.

A deposit and rental charge is payable for the portable standpipe which must be paid before the licence is issued.


Your licence may be subject to local or national restrictions, eg hosepipe restrictions.

The licence will include procedures for use. Portable standpipes must not be modified and must be returned at the end of the rental period.

Fines and penalties

It is an offence to take water from a hydrant without permission or a standpipe supplied by Northern Ireland Water. You can be fined up to £1,000 for each occasion.