4. Change the weight you can carry

The Driving Standards Agency (DSA) and Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) have merged to form the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA).

You can apply to increase the maximum permitted weight your lorry can carry.

If no physical changes have been made to the design this is known as ‘up-plating’, or ‘uprating’ if the design has been modified. You’ll get a new plate to show the change in permitted weight.

After up-plating or uprating, you’ll have to pay a higher rate of vehicle tax if it means you replate to a higher vehicle tax band.

Downplating and downrating

You can also ‘downplate’ or ‘downrate’ your lorry. This reduces the maximum weight it can work at and will lower its rate of vehicle tax.

Your vehicle will be inspected by DVSA if it has been uprated or downrated before it is issued with new plates at the new weights.

Up-plated and downplated lorries are not usually inspected, although downplated vehicles might have to pass an official weight test before DVSA issues a new plate.

Apply to replate your lorry

Fill in form VTG10 and send it with payment for £28 to the address on the form or your nearest DVSA goods vehicle testing station.

You must apply to DVLA using form V70 to re-licence the lorry once it’s replated. Send your new plating certificate VTG7 with your application.

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.