Special training for ratings and officers
You may need special training if you work on certain types of ship.
Ratings and officers may need special training before working on:
- high-speed craft (including hovercraft)
- passenger ships
If you’re a rating with cargo handling duties or an officer on a tanker, you must complete either:
- at least 3 months sea-going service on tankers
- a tanker familiarisation training programme
- at least 30 days service on a tanker of less than 3,000 gross tonnes on voyages of not more than 72 hours
Officers responsible for cargo operations need extra training and a tanker endorsement.
The Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) has information on the special training required for work on tankers.
If you’re a master or officer on a high-speed craft, you must complete training in:
- the craft’s propulsion and control systems
- its handling characteristics
- communication and navigation procedures
- handling the craft in the event of severe weather conditions or damage
You may also have to take specialist training if you’re a rating or an engineer on a high-speed craft, depending on the work you do.
The MCA has more detailed information on the special training required for work on high-speed craft.
If you’re working on a passenger ship you must complete training in:
- crowd management
- awareness of life-saving appliances and control plans
- how to help passengers to muster and embarkation station
If you provide direct service to passengers, you must complete additional training in:
- embarkation procedures and special assistance
- how to communicate effectively with passengers
- how to use personal life-saving appliances
If you have responsibility for the safety of passengers in emergency situations and for cargo safety and hull integrity then you must complete training in:
- crisis management and human behaviour
- loading and embarkation procedures
- carriage of dangerous goods and securing of cargo
- stability trim and stress calculations
The MCA has information on the special training required for work on passenger ships.