Appeal to the Social Security and Child Support Tribunal

2. Before you appeal

You must ask for your decision to be looked at again (‘mandatory reconsideration’) within a month of the date of a decision about:

  • Attendance Allowance
  • Bereavement Allowance
  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Child Benefit
  • child maintenance (sometimes known as ‘child support’)
  • Compensation Recovery Scheme (including NHS recovery claims) - contact the Compensation Recovery Unit before you appeal to the tribunal
  • Diffuse Mesotheliomia Payment Scheme
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Employment Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Funeral Payments
  • Guardian’s Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Maternity Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • Sure Start Maternity Grant
  • tax credits
  • Universal Credit
  • Vaccine Damage Payment
  • Winter Fuel Payment

You normally can’t appeal to the tribunal if you haven’t asked for mandatory reconsideration.

How to ask for mandatory reconsideration

Write to the department that gave you the decision and say you want a mandatory reconsideration - the address is on your decision letter.

Explain why you think the decision is wrong and include any evidence you have to support this.

If the decision is about Child Benefit or Guardian’s Allowance, fill in form CH24A or phone HMRC.

There’s a different way to ask for a mandatory reconsideration for tax credits.

Call the phone number on your decision letter first if you’re asking for a mandatory reconsideration more than one month after the date of the decision.

What happens next

Your original decision will be reconsidered - you’ll get a ‘mandatory reconsideration notice’ telling you whether the decision’s been changed.

You can appeal to the tribunal if you’re still not satisfied - you must do this within one month of the date of your mandatory reconsideration notice.