Submit your appeal

You can appeal a decision about your entitlement to benefits, for example Personal Independence Payment (PIP), Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Universal Credit.

You must ask for the decision about your benefits to be looked at again before you can appeal, unless your decision letter says you do not need a ‘mandatory reconsideration’.

You’ll need:

  • your National Insurance number
  • the details of the representative helping with your appeal (if you’re using one)
  • your mandatory reconsideration notice - you get this after you ask for the benefit decision to be looked at again

If you do not need a mandatory reconsideration your decision letter will say why. Include this explanation when you submit your appeal.

You’ll need to choose whether you want to go to the tribunal hearing to explain your appeal in person. If you do not attend, your appeal will be decided on your appeal form and any supporting evidence you provide.

Start now

You can only access the service’s web chat if you’re using Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or Safari. You can access everything else in the service using any browser.

Continue with an existing appeal

Sign in to continue with your saved benefit appeal application.

Appealing by post

Use form SSCS1 to appeal a Universal Credit, ESA or PIP decision by post.

Help with your appeal

You can appoint someone as a ‘representative’ to help you with your appeal. A representative can:

  • help you submit your appeal or prepare your evidence
  • act on your behalf
  • give you advice

Anyone can be a representative, including friends and family.

You might also be able to find a representative through a library or from an organisation in your area that gives advice on claiming benefits, such as Citizens Advice.

Your representative will have permission to act on your behalf, for example to respond to letters. They’ll be sent all the information about your appeal, including any medical evidence.

To register a representative, you can either:

  • name your representative when you submit your appeal
  • register a representative at any point after you submit your appeal

Write to HMCTS Benefit Appeals to register a representative after you submit your appeal.

HMCTS Benefit Appeals
PO Box 12626
CM20 9QF

Contact the benefit appeals helpline if you need more help submitting an appeal.

Benefit appeals helpline (England and Wales)
Telephone: 0300 123 1142
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Saturday, 8am to 2pm
Find out about call charges

Benefit appeals helpline (for Welsh speakers)
Telephone: 0300 303 5170
Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm
Find out about call charges

Benefit appeals helpline (Scotland)
Telephone: 0300 790 6234
Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5pm
Find out about call charges