Apply for this licence

Postcode lookup
For example SW1A 2AA

Find a postcode on Royal Mail's postcode finder


Contact your council to apply for a skip permit or licence to place a skip on a public road or footpath in Scotland.

You need a permit if you:

  • operate a skip hire business
  • plan to use a skip that isn’t from a private hire company

You don’t need a skip permit if you’re putting the skip entirely on private land.


You must make sure the skip is:

  • marked with the name, address and telephone number of the hire company
  • in good condition, eg no holes
  • safe so pedestrians won’t injured by brushing past it
  • not blocking any road or footpath users
  • not blocking any drains
  • painted yellow on both ends to reflect headlights of approaching cars
  • not placed on a verge
  • not placed outside nightclubs when the club is in use

How to apply

Contact your council to apply for a skip permit.

A permit costs £22 per week but may vary for different councils.

Fines and penalties

You can be fined by the council if you place an unlicensed skip on a public road, cause damage to any public property or if you don’t follow any of the restrictions of your permit. You will also have to move the skip.