Apply for this licence
Start now on the Department of Agriculture and Rural Development website (DOC, 90KB)
You need a licence from the Department for Agriculture and Rural Development (DARD) for exclusive marine shellfish cultivation and taking rights for a specified area in Northern Ireland.
You must hold a fish culture licence (for the cultivation of shellfish at a marine site) to apply.
A licence provides legal protection for your shellfish operation.
How to apply
Download an application form from the DARD website.
You’ll need to give:
- your details
- company details
- site co-ordinates
- production details
- design, layout and operations at site
- measures for protection of wildlife
You’ll need to provide supporting information, including:
- a chart with the exact co-ordinates and size of the site
- confirmation of ownership or lease of the site, or letters of intent of sale or lease from owner, or a copy of the lease or consent in principle from the Crown Estate Commissioners or other owner of the seabed or foreshore
- written confirmation from the Maritime and Coastguard Agency that the proposed development will not create a navigational hazard
- a business plan of your proposed operation
Your first licence will be limited to 5 years.