1. 1What's your situation?

    You have a work visa

    Change this answer

  2. 2What's your visa?

    Tier 2 (General) visa

    Change this answer

You can apply if you have a Tier 2 (General) visa

Check if you meet the requirements for settlement (‘indefinite leave to remain’).


You can apply if:

  • you have a Tier 2 (General) visa
  • you’ve been living and working in the UK for 5 years and spent no more than 180 days outside the UK in any 12 months (‘continuous residence’)
  • your employer (sponsor) still needs you for your job - they’ll need to provide a document confirming this
  • your job pays £35,500 or more (unless you’re exempt from the ‘minimum earnings threshold’)
  • you get paid the relevant salary listed in the Codes of Practice

Continuous residence

The 5 years can include time in the UK on another visa if it was one of the following:

  • Member of Ground Staff of an Overseas Owned Airline
  • Minister of Religion, Missionary or Member of a Religious Order
  • Work Permit in the business and commercial category or the sports and entertainment category
  • Representative of an Overseas Business
  • Representative of an Overseas Newspaper, News Agency or Broadcasting Organisation
  • any tier 1, except Tier 1 (Post-study work) or Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur)
  • Highly Skilled Migrant Programme
  • Innovator

The 5 years can include time in the UK on a Tier 2 (Intra-Company Transfer) visa if one of the following applies:

  • the continuous residence includes a period of leave granted under the Tier 2 (Intra-Company Transfer) rules in place before 6 April 2010
  • the continuous residence includes time where you had a work permit granted because you were the subject of an Intra-Company Transfer

If you’re 18 to 64 when you apply, you must also:

Minimum earnings threshold

You must provide proof that you earn £35,500 a year or more (the ‘minimum earnings threshold’) in the main job you’re sponsored for.

If you’re paid hourly, you can only count what you’re paid for up to 48 hours a week to calculate your earnings.

When you’re exempt

You do not have to earn £35,500 if the main job you’re sponsored for:

How to apply

You must apply online. You’ll be told whether your application has been successful within 6 months.

You’ll be contacted if your application is complex and will take longer, for example:

  • if your supporting documents need to be verified
  • if you need to attend an interview
  • because of your personal circumstances, for example if you have a criminal conviction

After you submit your application you’ll be asked to provide your fingerprints and a digital photo (called ‘biometric information’).

Get help using a computer to apply online

You can get help with:

  • accessing a computer or the internet
  • finding the right information on GOV.UK

You cannot get advice on:

  • whether you’re eligible to apply
  • what information to put in your application
  • an application you’ve already made

Telephone: 03333 445 675
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Find out about call charges
Text: ‘VISA’ to 07537 416 944

When your application can be refused

Your application might be refused if, for example, you’ve:

  • got a criminal record in the UK or another country
  • provided false or incomplete information to the Home Office
  • broken UK immigration law

Read the guidance on why applications can be refused.

Family members (dependants)

Your partner and children under 18 can apply on the same form as you if they’re eligible.

Eligibility for partners

Your partner may qualify if all of the following apply:

  • they have permission to be in the UK as your partner
  • they’ve been living in the UK with you for at least 2 years if they applied before 9 July 2012 or 5 years if they applied on or after 9 July 2012
  • your relationship is genuine
  • you intend to continue living together
  • you have enough income to support yourselves and your dependants
  • you’re not using public funds

They must:

Eligibility for children

Your child can apply if they:

  • were previously given permission to stay in the UK as your child
  • are not married or in a civil partnership
  • will live with you and be supported by you without using public funds

You and your child’s other parent must both be settled in the UK legally, or currently applying to settle, for the child to be allowed to settle.

Your child can also apply to settle in one of the following situations:

  • you’re the child’s sole surviving parent
  • you have sole responsibility for the child’s upbringing
  • there are serious or compelling family or other considerations, for example you (if you’re settled in the UK) or your child has a serious illness

If your child is 16 or older when you apply you’ll need to provide proof of where they live. Provide 2 documents from this list:

  • bank statement
  • credit card bill
  • driving licence
  • NHS registration document
  • a letter from their current school, college or university, on headed paper and issued by an authorised official of that organisation

The documents you provide cannot be more than a month old on the date you make your application.

You need to give details of any payments your child makes for rent or upkeep per month.

You must explain why if your child does not live with you and your partner. If it’s because they’re studying, you must provide confirmation from the university or college on headed paper and issued by an authorised official.

You’ll also need to show that you’ve supported your child while they’re away by providing bank statements for you and your child covering the 3 months before the date you apply.

If they’re over 18 by the time you apply, they must pass the Life in the UK Test and prove they have English language skills.

They must apply online.


It costs £2,389 for each person applying.