Beta This is new guidance. Complete our quick 5-question survey to help us improve it.
Product and service community
The product and service community exists to:
- make sure government products and services meet user needs
- create a supportive peer group of product managers and service owners across government
- improve product management skills and techniques through collaboration
- discuss and challenge the way government manages products and services
- help you use shared products and components in your service
Who the community is for
You might be interested in the community if you use (or want to use) product management methods to deliver government products and services that meet user needs.
You don’t have to be in a product manager or service owner role to join.
If you’re interested in discussing product management, you can:
- join the Product People mailing list - request access using your government email address
- join the product management channel on the UK government Slack - you can create a Slack account using your government email address
- come along to one of our monthly and annual community events (announced on the mailing list and Slack).
Your department may have its own product management community. Talk to your head of product to find out.
Use these resources to learn more about product management in government:
- GDS blog - includes stories, lessons and case studies about agile from across government
- product manager roles and skills and service owner role and skills - part of government digital, data and technology career frameworks
- GDS design principles - use these to guide your work
Product management in the Service Manual
These guides show what we currently believe to be best practice for managing products and services in government:
- Core principles of agile
- Designing government services: an introduction
- Set up a service team at each phase
- Writing user stories
- Planning in agile
- Governance principles for agile service delivery
- Measuring and reporting progress
- Developing a road map
- Deciding on priorities
- How the discovery phase works
- How the alpha phase works
- How the beta phase works
- How the live phase works
- Retiring your service
Help us keep the Service Manual up to date by:
- contributing to community discussions
- telling us if something is wrong or out of date using the feedback link at the top of each guide
- Last update:
Guidance first published