Guidance and regulation


Closed organisation: Department for Business, Innovation & Skills (BIS)

sorted by Most viewed
  • Import and export licences

    Licences are needed for import and export of military and paramilitary goods, dual-use and technology, artworks, plants and animals, medicines and chemicals - be aware of your responsibilities and who the relevant UK licensing authorities are.

  • Controls on dual-use goods

    Exports of dual-use goods controlled by EU Dual-Use Regulation are wide ranging, encompassing goods in the telecoms, avionics and security sectors.

  • Firearms and export control forms

    Exporting firearms, ammunition and related equipment to other countries, including within the EU, for businesses and individuals.

  • Freight forwarding: moving goods

    Freight forwarders oversee the worldwide movement of cargo, packing, documentation and customs clearance, on behalf of importers and exporters.

  • Military End-Use Control

    Some otherwise uncontrolled goods are at risk of being used as parts for, or to manufacture military equipment in an embargoed country.

  • Local Enterprise Partnerships: map

    Boundary map of Local Enterprise Partnerships (LEPs), who decide priorities for investment in roads, buildings and facilities in their area.

  • Transport and distribution for international trade

    Find out about international trade distribution by road, rail, air and sea: imports, exports, customs, regulations and freight management.

  • Embargoes and sanctions on West African States

    Information on embargoes on West African States and how to apply for an export licence.

  • Mutual Recognition Regulation across the EEA

    If you are exporting 'non-harmonised goods' such as pet animals, foodstuffs, furniture, fireworks, tobacco, vehicles or precious metals, you need the technical rules under UK law.

  • Do I need an import licence?

    Explains whether you need a licence to import goods from different countries.

  • Exporting military goods to the United States

    Find out more about the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and the US/UK Defence Trade Cooperation Treaty.

  • Students and Council Tax: guidance

    Guidance on changes to the treatment of full-time students for Council Tax purposes.

  • Firearms specific import licence: how to apply

    Guidance on how to apply for a specific import licence on the electronic import licensing system (ICMS) for firearms, guns or ammunition.

  • Paper and printing: international trade regulations

    Licensing requirements for importers and exporters, duty rates, reliefs and import VAT for printed books, newspapers and related products.

  • Cyber security: advice for small businesses

    Guidance for small businesses on how to put simple cyber security measures in place.

  • Freight forwarding: managing risk

    Understand how trading conditions and insurance can limit the financial risk for freight forwarders.

  • Providing quality internships: guidance for employers and interns

    Department for Business, Innovation & Skills supported guidance on running high-quality internship programmes.

  • Licence types: FAQs

    Answers to commonly asked questions about applying for and using the different types of licences for exporting controlled goods outside the UK.

  • England 2014 to 2020 European Social Fund partner information

    ESF co-financing organisations (opt-in organisations) role in the England 2014 to 2020 European Structural and Investment Funds programme.

  • Traineeships: information for employers and education providers

    A framework for traineeships that sets out who they are for, what they provide and their funding.