All food in schools must meet nutritional standards so that children have healthy, balanced diets.
This means there must be:
- high-quality meat, poultry or oily fish
- at least 2 portions of fruit and vegetables with every meal
- bread, other cereals and potatoes
There can’t be:
- fizzy drinks, crisps, chocolate or sweets in school meals and vending machines
- more than 2 portions of deep-fried food a week
You can read more about nutritional standards in schools on the School Food Trust website.
You may be entitled to free school meals if you’re on a low income.