Apply for this licence
Start now on the Care Inspectorate website
You must register with the Care Inspectorate if you want to operate a residential care home in Scotland.
Types of care home include:
- care homes for people with physical and sensory impairments
- care homes for older people
- care homes for people with learning disabilities
- care homes for children and young people
- care homes for people with drug and alcohol misuse problems
- care homes for people with mental health problems
- short breaks and respite care services for adults
As part of the registration process the Care Inspectorate will check:
- whether the applicant and manager of the proposed care service are fit to provide or manage a care service
- whether the premises in which the proposed care service will be provided are fit to be used for that purpose
- that the proposed service will make all the proper provisions for the health, welfare, independence, choice, privacy and dignity of everyone using the service
There is a one off, non-refundable fee of £3,849, followed by an annual fee of £157.