Apply for this licence
Start now on the Care Inspectorate website
You must register with the Care Inspectorate if you want to operate a residential care home in Scotland.
Types of care home include:
- care homes for people with physical and sensory impairments
- care homes for older people
- care homes for people with learning disabilities
- care homes for children and young people
- care homes for people with drug and alcohol misuse problems
- care homes for people with mental health problems
- short breaks and respite care services for adults
As part of the registration process the Care Inspectorate will check:
- whether the applicant and manager of the proposed care service are fit to provide or manage a care service
- whether the premises in which the proposed care service will be provided are fit to be used for that purpose
- that the proposed service will make all the proper provisions for the health, welfare, independence, choice, privacy and dignity of everyone using the service
How to apply
You can apply for registration or download the application forms from the Care Inspectorate website.
There is a one off, non-refundable fee of £3,849, followed by an annual fee of £157.