Report unlicensed taxis, minicabs or private hire vehicles

Taxis and private hire vehicles (also called minicabs) must have a licence from the local council or Transport for London (TfL).

Report a vehicle, driver or operator that’s unlicensed by either:

Call 999 if you or someone else is in immediate danger.

There is a different process for Northern Ireland.

Check if a vehicle is licensed correctly

A private hire vehicle (PHV) can only be pre-booked. Taxis can also be hailed in the street or hired at a rank in the area they’re licensed by.


Taxis have a plate on the back showing their taxi licence number and the area they’re licensed by.

They usually have a ‘TAXI’ roof sign.

Taxis can only be hailed in the area they’re licensed by, but they can be pre-booked from anywhere.

PHVs (minicabs)

To show they’re licensed, most PHVs must display either a:

  • special licence plate on the front or rear of the vehicle
  • special disc on the windscreen or rear window

Some PHVs are exempt, such as executive hire vehicles.