You must tell the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) if your Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) card has been lost, stolen or damaged.

Apply for a replacement

To get a replacement Driver CPC card (sometimes called a ‘driver qualification card’ or ‘DQC’), you must write to DVSA by email or post and give your:

  • name
  • driving licence number
  • date of birth
  • address
  • telephone number

DVSA Driver CPC enquiries

Driver CPC
PO Box 280
Newcastle Upon Tyne
NE99 1FP

Paying for a replacement

DVSA will phone you after you’ve applied to take payment for the replacement.

You’ll need a credit or debit card to pay the £25 fee.

After you’ve paid

You can keep driving professionally while you wait for your replacement Driver CPC card to arrive.

It will be sent to the address on your driving licence. You’ll need to change this address first if it’s wrong.

If it doesn’t arrive

Contact DVSA if it doesn’t arrive within 20 days.

Driver CPC card replacements
Telephone: 0191 201 8112
Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm
Find out about call charges