Renew or re-register your approved driving instructor (ADI) registration. You can only renew it in the month it’s due to run out. You can re-register it if it ran out in the last 12 months.
Start now on the Department for Transport service
Before you start
You need a criminal records check before you renew your registration. This normally takes around 3 months but can sometimes take longer.
It costs £300. You’ll need a credit or debit card to pay.
The service is available from 6am to 11:30pm.
Photocard driving licence
If you have a photocard driving licence you’ll need:
- your online user ID from the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA)
- your password
- your driving licence number (if you’re giving DVSA permission to use your photocard photo)
- your criminal records disclosure
Paper driving licence
If you have an old-style paper driving licence you’ll also need:
- to print the final screen and send it to DVSA
- a passport-sized photo with your ADI personal reference number written on the back
Your user ID and password
Your user ID can be found on all letters sent to you by DVSA. It’s not the same as your ADI personal reference number.
Email DVSA if you’ve never had, or have lost, your user ID. You must include your:
- ADI number or driving licence number
- date of birth
Rules for passwords
Your password must be at least 9 characters long. It must include at least 3 of these 4 types of characters:
- uppercase letters
- lowercase letters
- special characters (eg £, %, &)
You can’t use any of your 5 previously used passwords.
Help with your application
Email DVSA if you have any problems applying online.
There’s a different process to renew your ADI registration in Northern Ireland.