Renew or re-register your approved driving instructor (ADI) registration. You can only renew it in the month it’s due to run out. You can re-register it if it ran out in the last 12 months.
The Driving Standards Agency (DSA) and Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) have merged to form the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA).
Start now on the Department for Transport website
It costs £300.
The online service is available from 6am to 11:30pm.
You’ll need a criminal records disclosure before you start. This can take several weeks to process.
Photocard driving licence
If you have a photocard driving licence you’ll need:
- your online user ID from the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA)
- your password
- your driving licence number (if you’re giving DVSA permission to use your photocard photo)
- your criminal records disclosure
Paper driving licence
If you have an old-style paper driving licence you’ll also need:
- to print the final screen and send it to DVSA
- a passport-sized photo with your ADI personal reference number written on the back
Your user ID and password
Your user ID can be found on all letters sent to you by DVSA. It’s not the same as your ADI personal reference number.
Email DVSA if you’ve never had, or have lost, your user ID.
You must include your driving licence number and 2 of the following in your email:
- your ADI number
- your date of birth
- your postcode held on the ADI register
Rules for passwords
You can’t use any of your 5 previously used passwords.
Your password must be at least 9 characters long. It must include at least 3 of these 4 types of characters:
- uppercase characters, eg A B C
- lowercase characters, eg a b c
- numeric digits, eg 1 2 3
- special characters, eg £ % &
Help with your application
Email the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) if you have any problems applying online.
There’s a different process to renew your ADI registration in Northern Ireland.
- Takes around 15 minutes
- Not available in Northern Ireland
- Debit or credit card required
- Digital or signed photo required