Apply for this licence

Start now on the Department of Agriculture and Rural Development website


You must register with the Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (DARD) if you store non-ruminant feed containing restricted proteins on a farm in Northern Ireland where ruminants are present.

If you use any of the following restricted proteins either as a feed material (or straight ingredient) or in a complementary feed material (pre-mix or concentrate) to produce non-ruminant feed, you must register with DARD:

  • fishmeal
  • blood products from non-ruminants
  • blood meal from non-ruminants (but only when fed to farmed fish)
  • dicalcium phosphate and tricalcium phosphate of animal origin

Non-ruminant animals include:

  • pigs
  • poultry
  • horses
  • farmed fish

Ruminant animals include:

  • cattle
  • sheep
  • goats
  • other animals which chew the cud

If you buy in, or hire mobile mixers to manufacture, feeding stuffs containing any of the restricted proteins, you must also apply for registration.

How to apply

Download an application form from the DARD website.


Your farm will be inspected by DARD. You must show satisfactory working practices are in place to:

  • prevent the exposure of ruminants to restricted proteins through secure packaging and separation
  • keep food for pets or working dogs in a separate store from livestock feed and ensure feeding takes place in an area where livestock don’t have access at any time
  • ensure that all staff are aware of these separation requirements

Fines and penalties

You may be fined and/or imprisoned for up to 2 years if you don’t register with DARD or comply with standards.