Recover debt from elsewhere in the EU

Use internationally-recognised court forms to recover money you’re owed by someone in another EU country.

This is known as making a ‘cross-border’ claim. You will have to pay a court fee.

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, you will no longer be able to use these services and will not be able to make a new claim. You will be able to complete existing claims.

If they admit owing the money

You can make a European Payment Order if the other person or business admits owing the money.

If they deny owing the money

You can use the European Small Claims procedure if they deny owing the money, and you’re owed less than €5,000.

You may have to use the national court system for larger sums of money, and should get legal advice.

Find out more about making a cross-border claim in the EU.