Apply for this licence

Start now on the Police Service of Northern Ireland website (PDF, 64KB)


You must get permission from the police to purchase or acquire explosives for purposes other than blasting.

This includes:

  • industrial safety cartridges
  • blank safety cartridges
  • flares
  • rockets
  • small arms
  • nitro compound
  • gunpowder

How to apply

Download an application form from the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) website.

You’ll need to give:

  • your details
  • the quantity and type of explosives
  • supplier’s details
  • the purpose of the explosives
  • details of place(s) where the explosives will be kept and used
  • details of person responsible for safe custody
  • the expected purchase date
  • details of secure storage arrangements

You’ll also need to provide details of your firearm certificate if your application refers to the purchase of small arms, nitro compound or primers for safety cartridges.

Return your completed application to your local police station or the Explosives Inspector for your police district.

You must apply within 14 days of when you expect to get the explosives.