Apply for this licence
Start now on the Scottish Natural Heritage website
If you wish to undertake activities involving protected species which would otherwise be against the law, you may be able to apply for a licence from Scottish Natural Heritage.
Licences can be granted in relation to animals classed as protected species for the following purposes:
- science, research or education
- ringing, marking or examining rings or marks
- conserving wild birds, wild animals or wild plants or introducing them to particular areas
- conserving any area of natural habitat
- protecting zoological or botanical collections
- preserving public health or public safety
- preventing the spread of disease
- preventing serious damage to livestock, foodstuffs for livestock, crops, vegetables, fruit, growing timber, property or fisheries
- for any other social, economic or environmental purpose
How to apply
Application forms and guidance notes for each specific licence are available on the Scottish Natural Heritage website.