5. Appeals

Follow these steps if you’re unhappy with your Personal Independence Payment (PIP) decision.

  1. Discuss the decision with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

  2. Make a formal request to have the decision looked at again (known as ‘mandatory reconsideration’) if you’re still unhappy.

  3. Appeal the decision if you’re unhappy with the mandatory reconsideration.

Discuss the decision with DWP

DWP will try and contact you to discuss the decision once you’ve got the letter explaining why you’re not eligible.

You can tell them why you don’t agree and give more information to support your argument, for example if your circumstances have changed.

You can also contact DWP before they contact you. The telephone number and address will be on your decision letter.

Contact DWP as soon as possible if you think they’ve overlooked something or if your situation has changed.

Ask for a ‘mandatory reconsideration’

If you’re still unhappy, you can contact DWP again and formally ask them to look at their decision again. This is called ‘mandatory reconsideration’ - you have to do it before you can appeal a decision.

You can phone or write to DWP and ask for a mandatory reconsideration - the details are on your decision letter.

You have to ask for a mandatory reconsideration within 1 month of the date of your decision letter.

You must give reasons why you’re asking for a reconsideration. You might want to include further information to support your case.

You’ll receive a ‘mandatory reconsideration notice’ as a response.

How to appeal

You can appeal your decision if you’re still unhappy with DWP’s response in the mandatory reconsideration notice.

Fill in the form ‘Notice of appeal against a decision of the Department for Work and Pensions - SSCS1’ and send it to the address on the form.

You must send form SSCS1 within 1 calendar month of the date on the mandatory reconsideration decision letter and include your mandatory reconsideration notice.