Apply for this licence

Postcode lookup

For example SW1A 2AA

Find a postcode on Royal Mail's postcode finder


You must have a licence to store and supply petrol to vehicles with internal combustion engines.

You must also have a petroleum licence if you want to store more than 275 litres of petrol domestically.

Your licence will include your name, the address of your site, how long this is valid for and any other conditions your licensing authority may impose.

How to apply

You can contact your licensing authority for an application form or visit their website to apply online.

Your licensing authority is your fire and rescue service if you live in Greater London or one of the metropolitan counties:

  • Greater Manchester
  • Merseyside
  • South Yorkshire
  • Tyne and Wear
  • West Midlands
  • West Yorkshire

If you live anywhere else in England, Scotland or Wales, your local council is your petroleum licensing authority.

You will be charged a fee for your application.

Fines and penalties

If you don’t have a licence to store and dispense petrol, you can be fined and imprisoned for up to 2 years.