1. Overview

You must apply to the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) for permission if you supply large goods trailers for use on the road.

This is called a ‘letter of consent’ and applies to ‘final suppliers’.

You need a letter of consent if your trailer:

  • is for carrying goods and weighs more than 1020kg when it’s not carrying any goods or other items (known as ‘unladen weight’)
  • is a semi-trailer

You don’t need a letter of consent if your trailer is listed in Schedule 2 of the Goods Vehicle (Plating and Testing) Regulations.