From Sunderland City Council

How to apply

1. Application for a permit to place tables and chairs on the pavement or road

You must gain a licence from Sunderland City Council to legally place tables, chairs and other furniture on the public highway (which can include footway, footpath, carriageway and grass verge). Firstly, it is advised to discuss your needs with Network Operations on 0191 520 5550 or email The licence is valid for 12 months and renewed annually. The licence can be withdrawn at any time if terms and conditions are not adhered to.

Apply online

The issuing authority for this licence is Sunderland City Council (change location)

You can contact them using the details below.

City Centre Customer Service Centre
31-32 Fawcett Street