Permission to distribute leaflets (England and Wales)

Apply for this licence

Postcode lookup
For example SW1A 2AA

Find a postcode on Royal Mail's postcode finder


Check with your council to see if you need permission to distribute free printed material in England and Wales.

Free printed material includes:

  • leaflets or cards
  • free newspapers
  • takeaway menus and other promotional material

You can appeal to your local magistrates court if you’re unhappy about the council:

  • refusing to give you permission to distribute leaflets
  • placing conditions on what, when, where or how you leaflet
  • withdrawing or changing its permission

You may have to pay a fee to distribute leaflets.

If you’re leafletting about a small-scale cultural or community event you may be able to get reduced fees - check with your local council.

When you do not need permission

You do not need permission if the printed material is being distributed:

  • in letterboxes
  • inside a building, bus or taxi
  • on behalf of a charity
  • for political or religious purposes or other beliefs

Displaying your licence

Some councils issue a badge for each authorised person to wear while distributing printed material.

A local authority enforcement officer may ask to see this or other written evidence of your authorisation at any time.

Fines and penalties

You may get a fixed penalty up to £150, or a fine up to £2,500 and a criminal record, if you distribute printed material without a licence or break the rules of your licence. Your licence may be cancelled.

Your printed material may be taken away until the end of any legal proceedings. You’ll have to apply to a magistrate if you want it back sooner.