Handing over your driving licence for endorsement

If you get an endorsement you’ll need to hand over your licence to either the police, a fixed penalty office (FPO) or when you appear in court.

Your fixed penalty notice will tell you how to find your local FPO.

You’ll need to get a replacement if you’ve lost your licence.

If your driving licence is not returned to you, contact the FPO or court you sent it to, unless your licence has been sent to DVLA.

When your licence is sent to DVLA

The FPO or court will send your driving licence to DVLA if:

  • the licence has been cancelled (‘revoked’) by a court
  • you’re a new driver and you’ve been given more than 6 penalty points
  • the licence you gave the court is invalid
  • you’ve let DVLA know that you’ve changed your address

If your licence is sent to DVLA because you’ve changed your address, it’ll be returned to you within 3 weeks.