If you decide to run payroll yourself, you need payroll software to report to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC). The software will help you with tasks like:
- recording your employees’ details
- working out your employees’ pay and deductions
- reporting payroll information to HMRC
- working out how much you need to pay HMRC
- calculating statutory pay, for example maternity or sick pay
HMRC tests payroll software to check it can report PAYE information online and in real time (RTI).
You should consider which features you need. For example, some software won’t let you:
- produce payslips
- record pension deductions
- make pension payments
- pay different people over different periods (for example both weekly and monthly)
- send an Employer Payment Summary (EPS) report or Earlier Year Update (EYU) to HMRC
HMRC cannot recommend one software product or service over another and is not responsible for any problems you have with software that you’ve bought.