Pay or challenge a fine for an environmental offence

You can get a fine for committing an environmental offence, eg:

  • littering (including food waste, cigarette butts or chewing gum)
  • not cleaning up after your dog
  • putting up posters without permission (‘fly-posting’)
  • graffiti

Getting a fixed penalty notice

You’ll get a ‘fixed penalty notice’ from your local council or another authority, eg a national park. This will say which offence you’ve committed and the size of the fine.

You’ll usually get the notice on the spot. In some cases you might get it by post after you committed the offence.

Challenging the fine

If you don’t agree you committed the offence on the notice, you might be able to appeal against (‘challenge’) paying the fine.

Check if you can appeal with the authority that gave you the fine - their details will be on the notice.

Paying the fine

You must usually pay the fine within 14 days. Follow the instructions on your notice.

You might be prosecuted and have to pay more if you don’t pay your fine on time. You’ll be sent a summons with a date to attend a hearing at a magistrates’ court.