Government digital mapping data licence for academic institutions (Northern Ireland)

Apply for this licence

Start now on the Land & Property Services website (PDF, 341KB)


You need a licence to use government digital mapping intellectual property (IP) in an academic institution.

You’ll need a licence for the supply of Land & Property Services (LPS) and Ordnance Survey of Northern Ireland® (OSNI®) data to a teaching or academic institution which sits outside formal government mapping agreements.

How to apply

Download an application form from the Land & Property Services website.

You’ll need to provide:

  • organisation details
  • technical specifications of your software and required file formats
  • details of the data to be used

Return your completed application from to LPS Digital Supply.

Digital Supply
Land & Property Services
Colby House
Stranmillis Court

A fee will be payable.

Your licence will be valid for a minimum period of 12 months.


Your licence will permit the use of IP within the academic institution only to:

  • use, copy and adapt the IP for teaching and non commercial research only
  • combine the IP with other licensed or legally held IP within the academic institution
  • copy for back up purposes

Your licence won’t give the you the right to publish the IP or any mapping based on the IP.

Your licence will be subject to the academic licensing terms and conditions. All tutors, teachers, researchers etc must be made aware of these as the academic institution will be held responsible for any breaches.