Apply for this licence

Postcode lookup
For example SW1A 2AA

Find a postcode on Royal Mail's postcode finder


You need an occasional licence if you want to sell alcohol from unlicensed premises in Scotland.

You can apply for an occasional licence if any of the following are true:

  • you’re from a voluntary organisation
  • you hold a premises licence to sell alcohol
  • you hold a personal licence to sell alcohol


You’re restricted to the number of occasional licences you can get each year if you’re a voluntary organisation.

You can only get licences for events connected with your organisation’s activities.

Occasional licences are valid for no more than 14 days. Conditions will be attached to a licence, eg pricing and how to check the ages of people buying alcohol from you.

Number of licences you can apply for

If you’re a voluntary organisation, you can apply each year for a maximum of:

  • 4 occasional licences, each lasting for between 4 and 14 days
  • 12 occasional licences, each lasting for 4 days or less

Voluntary organisations can’t have occasional licences for a total of more than 56 days a year.

How to apply

Contact your local council’s licensing board to get an application form or apply online.

It costs £10 to apply for an occasional licence, which you’ll have to pay whether you are granted the licence or not.

The licensing board will decide if you can have a licence.

Fines and penalties

You can be fined up to £20,000, go to prison for up to 6 months or both if you sell alcohol, or allow alcohol to be sold without a proper licence.