Apply for this licence

Start now on the NLA Media Access Limited website


To make copies of newspaper content (for example, articles relating to your business, industry or competitors) for internal use in a business, you generally need a licence from the NLA Media Access Limited.

Making copies can include photocopying, faxing, scanning and emailing.

A business licence permits you to make copies from:

  • UK national and regional newspapers and magazines
  • newspaper websites
  • certain specialist and foreign titles

It also permits you to receive and distribute newspaper content from a public relations (PR) or press cuttings agency.

You’ll need a different licence if you’re a PR agency or a media monitoring agency and you supply newspaper content to clients.

If you make copies of newspaper content for teaching purposes, you need an Educational Establishment Licence.


Annual fees consist of a basic licence fee calculated on the total number of staff or turnover and, where appropriate, additional fees for frequent paper and digital copying.

If you have not applied for a licence before, you may also have to pay an indemnity charge to cover past copying.


Licences are subject to certain conditions, for example keeping records of the number of copies made and making these available for inspection by the NLA on request.

Fines and penalties

If you make copies of newspaper content without a licence, you are infringing copyright and could be sued for damages.

If you fail to pay the licence fee or comply with any other licence conditions, the NLA may terminate the licence.