MOT tester training and annual assessments


You’re responsible for planning and doing your training. You must keep a record of your training.

You can train on your own or in a group by:

You can also book a training course through one of these providers:

Check with the provider for the cost.

What you need to study

The topics you need to study depend on whether you test class 1 and 2 vehicles (‘group A’) or class 3, 4, 5 and 7 vehicles (‘group B’).

Some topics are studied by both groups.

Group A

If you test vehicles in group A, you need to know about:

Group B

For vehicles in group B, you must cover:

Groups A and B

If you test vehicles in both group A and group B, you need to study all the topics. You also need to train for at least 6 hours a year (instead of 3) and take 2 annual assessments.

Keeping a record of your training

You have to keep records for 5 years.

You’ll need to record:

  • the MOT annual training year (for example April 2018 to March 2019)
  • the date of the training
  • how long the training session lasted
  • what topics you covered during the session
  • notes on what you did, how you did it and what you learned
  • what vehicle groups your training covered
  • your name and MOT testing service user ID

You can use a template to record your training.