1. Overview

You can work out an agreement with your partner to avoid going to court.

You can use:

Once you’ve reached an agreement, you can get the court to make it legally binding, by applying for a ‘consent order’.

If you can’t agree

You can ask the court to decide using a ‘financial order’ if you can’t agree.

You’ll need to consider mediation before you go to court.

Get legal advice

Find a solicitor if you’d like legal advice.