4. Apply for a financial order

You can ask a court to make a ‘financial order’ if you can’t reach an agreement. This used to be called an ‘ancillary relief order’.

You can apply for a financial order if you want, for example:

Applying for a financial order costs £255.

The process is separate from the divorce, and usually takes longer - often 6 to 12 months.

You may have to attend a court appointment and go to a number of court hearings.

To apply for a financial order, fill in a financial order application form.

Send 2 copies of the form to the court dealing with your case. Keep your own copies.


You’ll need to prove you’ve considered mediation when you apply for a financial order - this doesn’t apply in some cases, eg if there’s been domestic abuse.

You can do this by filling in the mediation section of the application form.