Marriage in Vietnam

Contact the Embassy of Vietnam before making any plans to find out about local marriage laws, including what documents you’ll need.

You should get legal advice and check the travel advice for Vietnam before making any plans.

What you need to do

Before travelling to Vietnam

If you’ve been married or in a civil partnership before you’ll need to get supporting documents legalised in the UK. Depending on how your marriage or civil partnership ended, this will be:

You do not need to get a certificate of no impediment (CNI).

When you’re in Vietnam

You’ll be asked to provide an affirmation or affidavit document to prove you’re allowed to marry.

Make an appointment at the British embassy in Hanoi or the British Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City to swear an affidavit (written statement of facts) that you’re free to marry:

At your appointment, you’ll complete and sign an affirmation or affidavit of marital status in front of a consular officer. You can fill in (but not sign) the form before your appointment.

Legalisation and translation

You’ll need to get your affirmation or affidavit translated into the local language and ‘legalised’ (certified as genuine) by the local authorities - the embassy or consulate should be able to give you advice.

If you’ve been divorced or widowed, you’ll also need:

You’ll also need to provide evidence if you’ve changed your name by deed poll.

Your partner will probably need to get an affirmation or affidavit as well.

What happens next

You must present your approved affirmation or affidavit for marriage to a local registrar in Vietnam. They will register the marriage and provide you with a marriage certificate.

You’ll need to bring your passport. Check with the register what other supporting documents you’ll need.


Service Fee
Affidavit or affirmation for marriage £50

You can pay fees for consular services in the local currency or pounds sterling - these are shown in the list of consular fees for Vietnam.

You can pay in cash or by credit card (Visa, Visa Electron or MasterCard), but not by personal cheque.