Marriage in the USA

Contact the local authorities in the state you want to get married to find out about local laws. They’ll tell you what you need to do and what documents you need.

After you get married

Your marriage will be recognised in the UK if:

  • you follow the correct process according to the law in the USA
  • it would be allowed under UK law

You don’t need to register your marriage in the UK.

If your partner isn’t a British citizen, they can apply for British citizenship once they’ve lived in the UK for 3 years.