Marriage in Tanzania

Contact the High Commission of Tanzania to find out about local marriage laws, including what documents you’ll need.

You should get legal advice and check the travel advice for Tanzania before making any plans.

No trace letters

The Tanzanian authorities will accept a ‘no trace letter’ issued by the General Register Office confirming there is no record of a marriage in your name recorded in England and Wales.

You can get a ‘no trace letter’ from the General Register Office. Ask them to make a search and quote reference ‘SEARCH 123’.

General Register Office
Telephone: +44 (0)300 123 1837
Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
Saturday, 9am to 4pm

Certificate of no impediment

The UK doesn’t issue certificates of no impediment (CNI) for marriages in Commonwealth countries. You’ll need to explain this if you’re asked to provide a CNI or a similar document to prove you’re allowed to marry.