Marriage in Spain

Civil weddings in Spain take place at a town hall, register office or district court. You must register with the local civil authorities afterwards to get an official marriage certificate if you have a religious wedding.

You should get legal advice and check the travel advice for Spain before making any plans.

There are certain legal restrictions on getting married in Spain if neither of you lives there. If you both live outside Spain, you must check with the civil registry where you’re planning to get married to find out if this is allowed.

What you need to do

You’ll be asked to provide a certificate of no impediment (CNI), a marital status certificate or both to prove you’re allowed to marry.

Document requirements vary across Spain - check with the civil registry where you’re getting married to find out what you’ll need.

Your partner must also provide their own certificates.

You must apply for all certificates at least 3 months before you get married.

Getting a certificate of no impediment

You can normally get a CNI by giving a notice of marriage at your local register office or registrar in the UK. Find your local office or registrar in England and Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man, Jersey or Guernsey.

Your CNI will be valid for 3 months in Spain.

You must then exchange your UK-issued CNI for one that’s valid in Spain.

Download and fill in the CNI application pack - it contains a list of the documents you’ll need.

Send the documents by registered post to the address in the application pack.

Getting a marital status certificate

Download and complete the marital status certificate application pack - it contains a list of the documents you’ll need.

You must sign the affirmation in the application pack in front of a local notary public in Spain before you send your application to the consulate.

Send the documents by registered post to the address in the application pack.

What happens next

The consulate will check your forms and documents, and contact you if they have any queries.

It takes 10 working days after your payment has been approved for the consulate to process your application.

They’ll send your certificate and original documents to you by registered post.

Other requirements for Spain

The civil registrar may also ask for confirmation of your addresses for the past 2 years (‘confirmación de domicilio para casarse en España’).

You’ll need to show one of the following:

  • a letter confirming your address, eg electoral roll
  • a bank or building society statement, credit card statement
  • a mortgage statement
  • a council tax letter
  • utility bills
  • recent proof of entitlement to local or state benefits, eg tax credits, pension, education or other benefits

If you’re asked to provide a document from the British consulate, print out a copy of the ‘communication proof of address’.

You must get your documents translated if they’re not in English or Spanish.

The names on all documents you provide must appear exactly as they do on your passports - if not, the authorities may refuse to allow the marriage to go ahead. You may need to provide evidence if the name on your passport is different to your birth certificate (for example marriage certificate or deed poll).