Marriage in Peru

Contact the Embassy of Peru before making any plans to find out about local marriage laws, including what documents you’ll need.

You should get legal advice and check the travel advice for Peru before making any plans.

What you need to do

You’ll be asked to provide an affirmation or affidavit document to prove you’re allowed to marry.

Make an appointment at the British embassy or consulate in Peru to swear an affirmation or affidavit that you’re free to marry. You’ll need to bring your passport and pay a fee.

Make an appointment at the embassy in Lima.

You’ll need to complete an affidavit form to prove you’re allowed to marry.

You can download and fill in (but not sign) the form in advance. You must take the form with you to your appointment.

Legalisation and translation

You’ll need to get your affirmation or affidavit translated into the local language and ‘legalised’ (certified as genuine) by the local authorities - the embassy or consulate should be able to give you advice.

If you’ve been divorced or widowed, you’ll also need:

You’ll also need to provide evidence if you’ve changed your name by deed poll.

Your partner will probably need to get an affirmation or affidavit as well.


Service Fee
Affidavit or affirmation for marriage £50

You normally have to pay fees for consular services in the local currency - these are shown in the list of consular fees for Peru.

You can pay by cash or credit card, but not by personal cheque.