Marriage in Morocco

Contact the Embassy of Morocco before making any plans to find out about local marriage laws, including what documents you’ll need.

You also need to contact the Marriage Officer (Laadoul) in the city where you are going to get married.

You should get legal advice and check the travel advice for Morocco before making any plans.

What you need to do

You’ll be asked to provide an affirmation or affidavit document to prove you’re allowed to marry.

Make an appointment at the British embassy or consulate in Morocco to swear an affidavit (written statement of facts) that you’re free to marry. You’ll need to bring your passport, your partner’s passport and pay a fee.

Make an appointment at the embassy in Rabat or the British Honorary Consulate Marrakech.

Your partner must get an affirmation as well.

Legalisation and translation

You’ll need to get your affirmation or affidavit translated into the local language and ‘legalised’ (certified as genuine) by the local authorities - the embassy or consulate should be able to give you advice.

If you’ve been divorced or widowed, you’ll need to provide:

An ’affirmation for marriage’ document issued in Morocco is valid for 3 months.


Service Fee
Affidavit or affirmation for marriage £50

You normally have to pay fees for consular services in the local currency - these are shown in the list of consular fees for Morocco.

You can pay by cash or credit card, but not by personal cheque.