From Northern Ireland Environment Agency


You may need a licence from the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA) if you want to deposit substances or articles in the inshore waters around Northern Ireland, either in the sea or under the seabed.


The licence may have provisions in the licence to protect the marine environment, the living resources which it supports or human health.

Certain material depositing activities may be exempt, such as the deposit of scientific instruments, fishing gear, or material on the site of drilling for oil and gas.

Check if your planned dredging or sea disposal operations will be in a designated bathing area. If so, make sure the work isn’t done during the bathing water season (1 June to 15 September).

You may need a licence from the Marine Management Organisation (MMO). if you want to deposit waste in the offshore waters around Northern Ireland.