Apply for this licence

Start now on the PRS for Music website


You’ll probably need a PRS (Performing Rights Society) for Music licence if you play recorded music in public or on your business premises. This can include playing a CD, radio, or a music channel.

You’ll usually also need a PPL (Phonographic Performance Ltd) licence.

A PRS for Music licence also allows you to play live music on your premises (such as in a pub, restaurant or nightclub).

PRS for Music collects and distributes money for the use of the musical composition and lyrics on behalf of authors, songwriters, composers and publishers.

Businesses that might need a licence include:

  • shops
  • offices and factories
  • hairdressers and beauty salons
  • cinemas and theatres
  • hotels and guesthouses
  • restaurants and cafes
  • pubs, bars and nightclubs
  • sports grounds and other sporting facilities (such as bowling alleys)
  • gyms and other health facilities
  • bingo halls and casinos
  • social clubs and members’ clubs
  • churches and halls
  • public transport

You’ll need to pay a licence fee. The fee will vary depending on the type of licence applied for and from which organisation. You won’t need a licence if you play royalty free music.

You may need a licence to play music managed by another licensing body or collective management organisation.

How to apply

You can find more information about the type of licence you need on the PRS for Music website.

You can also contact PRS for Music:

PRS for Music
Telephone: 0800 072 0808
Find out about call charges

Fines and penalties

You’re infringing copyright and could be sued for damages if you play recorded, copyrighted music in public without a licence.