You need a licence to keep some animals considered to be wild, dangerous or exotic.

Apply to your local council for a licence to keep a wild animal.

You need a licence to keep some animals, eg:

  • wild cats
  • primates
  • wild dogs, eg wolves
  • certain pigs, eg wild boar
  • marsupials

See the full list of animals you need a licence for.

Hybrid or cross-bred animals may need a licence, depending on how far removed the animal is from its wild ancestor. If you’re not sure, ask your local council.